News & Publications
The College Magazine - Fall 2008
ST. JOHN'S FOREVER
This picture from 1900 evokes two bygone aspects of life at St. John's College: the days when the college fielded teams in many different intercollegiate competitions, and a time when military training was compulsory for every student. These Johnnies, posed with their trophies, were part of a strong athletic program at the college. In addition to track, students also competed in boxing, fencing, crew, lacrosse, basketball, baseball, football, and tennis. The college's biggest rival—especially in lacrosse and football—was Johns Hopkins University. Compulsory military training was discontinued in 1923, the same year the college switched to an elective system. President Stringfellow Barr put an end to intercollegiate competition soon after the New Program began in 1937.
In 1908, the college began construction on what was to become Iglehart Hall, named for Lieutenant Edmund Berkeley Iglehart, an 1894 graduate who was a baseball and football star and later returned to the college as a faculty member. Next year, the college will mark the 100th anniversary of Iglehart Hall, where runners put in laps on the suspended running track, and fierce intramural competition takes place on the basketball court.