About St. John's College
Annapolis Campus Tour
The Barr-Buchanan Center/Woodward Hall (1899)
Woodward Hall, built in 1899, originally housed the St. John's College Library, the science laboratories, and an armory in the basement. When the building was renovated, it was re-named the Barr-Buchanan Center, in honor of Stringfellow Barr and Scott Buchanan, founders of the "great books" curriculum at St. John's. Completed in 1997, the renovations transformed the former library into a multi-use center containing offices for the Graduate Institute, reading rooms, and classroom space. On the second floor, the King William Room, where Senior orals and Master's Essay orals are held, has been refurbished. On the lower levels, the former library stack areas were converted to a series of classrooms, a computer lab, student activity rooms, and tutor offices.